Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A DRIVE ON A BACKROAD


The order of business yesterday was to first take a drive north from Toledo, along the Siletz River, returning to the ocean north of Depoe Bay.  Patty and I had taken this scenic drive a few years ago, which passes through the small town of Siletz.  But first, we had to drive east on highway 20 to Toledo where the turnoff is located.  As we approached Toledo, I heard a familiar question...."Can we stop at the quilt store in Toledo"?   Oh crap!  I thought by driving out on the back roads, that question would be entirely off the table.  Now what?  If I even hinted that "no" was a possible answer, then I'd be in the eternal doghouse, so really, the only answer was "sure honey, I'll be glad to stop anywhere you want".   When we pulled up to the front of the store, I looked around for any kind of guy store, but nothing was to be seen.  When I wandered into the woman store, at least there was a place to sit, and a kitty cat waiting to be petted.  I guess I should be thankful for the little things in life.


Near the end of the 30 mile drive, we checked out the Chinnok Bend RV Park on the Siletz River.  Nothing fancy, but they did have their own boat ramp, and if fishing is your deal, then this would be a good place to put your boat in the water.

 A view north from an ocean viewpoint north of Depoe Bay.


On the drive back to Newport, we drove down to the harbor at Depoe Bay, where the "hole in the wall gang" detachment of the Coast Guard is stationed.  Just as we were leaving, one of the two rescue boats was returning to the harbor.



We finished the day with a Sky Med presentation, concluding with a free chicken dinner.  Day after tomorrow, we'll be listening to a MASA seminar, which we are lifetime members.  Both plans are considered the Cadillacs of the air evacuation industry, and I'll have some thoughts on the two plans in a later blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment