Total Pageviews

Thursday, August 22, 2013

THE GIRLS WIN


If at all possible, when Patty & Nancy say they've found another quilt/fabric/yarn shop, I try and let them go off by themselves.  However, when we're already out and about, like yesterday, it's difficult for me to be the bad guy, and tell them they have to come back at a later time.  There's never a good ending to that scenario, as I either get the silent treatment, or even worse, I'm threatened with bodily harm.


Let me back up to our first adventure, where we drove down to, and onto the beach at Pacific City.  With the chairs in the sand, we watched the surfers, the folks walking past on the beach, and the hardy souls who climbed the sand mountain.  As the tide crept closer and closer to our chairs, and more importantly, the Jeep, we decided to get going while the going was still good.

We decided that our next stop was going to be the Fish Peddler in Bay City, where we've already had 2 great meals of fresh seafood.  Before leaving the area, one more stop at this local eatery was high on the priority list, even though it was about a 35 mile drive.


As we neared Hwy 101, we passed a sign that said BJ's Fabrics & Quilts - 1/4 mile.  I tried to pretend that I didn't see the sign, and hoped that 2 other people didn't see the sign, but that was too much to expect.  "Hey Dan, since we're so close, and we didn't have a chance to stop before, can we please stop for a quick look"?  Damn, I should have taken a different road into Tillamook.

When we got to the end of the 1/4 mile dirt road, we discovered that BJ's was in the basement of a residence.   I guess the quilting network must be stronger than I ever imagined, because this business is so far out in the boon tollies, you almost need a compass and a map to find it! 

 
After I took some time to rest my eyelids in the Jeep, the quilt sisters returned from their latest adventure into fabric land, and we were finally back on the road to the Fish Peddler in Bay City.
 
.

I'm not one to recommend much of anything, particularly quality of food at restaurants.  Having said that, the clam chowder at the Fish Peddler is quite possibly the best that I've ever had!  We've been to this inauspicious seafood diner 3 times, and if you like seafood, I don't think it gets any better.  The place is always packed, as I'm sure the locals agree with my assessment.  Parking with a big RV is not convenient, but I'll go out on a limb, and say that if you have to park elsewhere, disconnect from your RV, and drive back to the Fish Peddler, you'll be glad you did.  Really, the clam chowder is that good.


One more day here at the Pacific City Thousand Trails, then we move a couple hundred miles north to the Oceana Thousand Trails on the Washington Coast.  The last time we were there, about 3 years ago, we weren't impressed with the condition of the park, but perhaps things have changed for the better. 

No comments:

Post a Comment