Total Pageviews

Monday, February 11, 2013

I'M WIRED


Working with electricity isn't something that I particularly enjoy doing, even though I have a basic understanding of how it works.  It probably has something to do with those times when I've been jolted by an electrical current that liked my body better than its wire.  Lets just say that I have a healthy respect for this most essential utility, that most of us, myself included, take for granted.

When my neighbor and I wired the garage a few weeks ago, we added an extra circuit, and breaker for this expansion project.  The wire was already in place to the corner where I'm building the room, so all I had to do was run additional wire through the studs, and add the receptacles, switch, & light.
 

I installed three 110 plugs, a light switch, and an overhead 8' florescent light.  Before putting the light up, I had to sheet the ceiling with 1/2 inch plywood.  Using only an 8' ladder to use as an additional support, wrestling the 4x8 sheets up to the ceiling was a bit of a challenge.  Eventually, I got the two large sheets, and several smaller ones screwed to the roof joists, and then installed the light.
 

When everything was buttoned up, I flipped the circuit breaker back on, and tested the receptacles to make sure there wasn't an open ground or neutral.  Then, I flipped the switch for the light, and it worked!  Batting 1,000,  I decided to give up for the day.


This is probably the last day that I'll be doing any work in the garage for awhile.  We'll be moving the motor home to the rodeo grounds in a couple of days, and there's lots to do before we start our 10 days of work at the Tucson Rodeo.  Home improvement part 36, will resume in a couple of weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment