Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 5, 2012

A RIDE IN THE FOREST

Since arriving here at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon, I've been looking forward to getting on the KLR, and doing some exploring in this middle section of the Kaibab National Forest. About 10 am, I took off, armed with a forest service map, and my Garmin GPS.

It's no secret that one of my passions is trains, and when I found a road that paralleled the Grand Canyon Railroad tracks, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. I crossed the tracks a couple of times, but was a little late to catch the daily train on it's journey from Williams to the South Rim. South of the canyon, I stumbled upon some old buildings adjacent to the tracks, that at one time, probably had something to do with the maintenance of the railroad. The sign near the tracks named this location Imbleau. I'll have to check at the library for information about these abandoned structures.


"Sure hope there's no high speed train coming"

After about 50 miles of riding several forest service roads, I re-emerged into civilization near the airport at Tusayan. When I topped off the fuel tank before heading back into the park, I had only used a little over a gallon of the 6 gallon capacity tank. Sure wish the motor home got that kind of fuel mileage.

I still have a few days left before starting work, and that first day has been moved up to May the 8th. That's going to be National Park orientation day for the 10 or so new drivers that are coming on board this summer. The transit manager asked me to drive a bus, that will take the new employees to a few different locations within the park. Hey, that means I have seniority on more than just one or two people, and will have a little better pick, when the drivers bid for routes and days off in a few weeks. Seniority is good when you have it, and not so good when you don't.

No comments:

Post a Comment