Total Pageviews

Friday, May 4, 2012

LOTS OF PINE TREES

Most people think of Arizona as nothing more than a whole bunch of Desert. If they were talking about the western, or southern parts of the state, they would be mostly correct. Conversely, the northern part of Arizona is home to the largest ponderosa pine forest in the world. At an elevation of 6-8,000 feet, this forest covers much of the vast Colorado Plateau, and Grand Canyon National Park sits right in the middle of this huge forest.

Yesterday, I drove just outside the Park, to the Tusayan Forest Service Office, in order to obtain a map of the area. One of my motives for bringing the dual sport bike to the canyon this year, is to do some exploring on the forest service roads surrounding the National Park. It will also be my main transportation to and from work, which is a distance of about 2 miles. During a couple of scenic flights last year, I realized that there are a vast number of dirt roads adjacent to the South Rim, and after picking up a map, I can now take off and have some idea where I'll be headed. I also have a GPS that makes it virtually impossible to get lost.

Not much on the schedule for today, so it might be a good time to take off on the bike, and see where some of these dirt roads go.......

1 comment:

  1. Howdy, being born in Seattle I always thought the area you are in was all desert..My neighbors from Ballard retired and moved to Cottonwood. I thought they were nutz!
    I have since visited and it is quite nice...Trees!!!
    I hope you have a great season.
    Upriverdavid

    ReplyDelete