Total Pageviews

Monday, May 7, 2012

FROM BAD TO WORSE

Yesterday, I was frustrated with my Internet options, trying to find a better solution, than the very slow Sprint data card. The Sprint phone and data card are on roaming here at the South Rim, and neither one work very well. This morning, the frustration level elevated considerably, when a Sprint pop up said that I had exceeded the data limit, and I had to call them for more access, at an additional cost. Before buying the new computer, and upgrading to the new Sprint USB data card, I specifically asked that my new Internet plan continue with unlimited coverage, as was the case with the old plan. I was told that the new plan (2 year agreement) would be the same, with unlimited coverage. Well, after calling Sprint, that simply is not the case. Because they have to pay Verizon for use of their towers in this area, the roaming charges get passed on to the customer. The apologies were abundant, however there was nothing they could do to change the situation. That wasn't a very good option anyway.

Well, now what do I do? Last year, we had access to an unsecured wireless network, but no such luck this year. I had spoken to a utility phone guy a few days ago, who was doing some work at an adjacent RV site, and he told me that there was no Internet access through the hard wired phone lines. It was beginning to look like the only option was to either switch to Verizon, or add them to our existing plan with Sprint. Not a good option, primarily due to the cost, and the required trip to Flagstaff. I also knew that I wasn't going to go with a satellite plan, just for a period of about 4 months. Taking the computer to a WI FI hotspot at one of the lodges also wasn't a very good option.

At my wits end, I decided to check with Sharon, the transit system manager, to see if she knew of something that I was missing. One of her first comments was that there should be access through the phone line, and she thought that all of the sites where we're parked, had the infrastructure installed. Having dismissed that possibility due to my short conversation with the utility guy, I made a phone call to Century Link, the telephone provider. After a short conversation with the representative in Phoenix, he said that indeed, they could provide Internet access through their phone lines. Yahooooo!! I'm back in the ball game, at least I will be when Century Link can get out to the motor home. I almost have an idea how a drug addict feels when his supply is cut off, then he once again gains access to his feel good substance.

So, the good news is sometime this Friday, with any luck, we'll have a sort of high speed (1.5 Meg) connection, and life will return to normal. With me starting work tomorrow, most likely the blog will be out of service for a couple of days, at least until we get hooked up this Friday.
The real headline for today is "from bad to worse to better"!

2 comments:

  1. Love to read about your adventures! Glad the Internet issue seems to be fixable. Bet Patty is missing you and the critters, but excited for her trip.
    Jim & Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! So glad you found a resolution so WE OUT HERE don't go into withdrawal from not being able to catch up with you guys!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete