Total Pageviews

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

WE'RE AT THE GRAND CANYON

Entering Tusayan, just outside the Park Entrance Station

We secured the house, and hit the road around 9:30 am yesterday morning, destination - The Grand Canyon. Our normal routine is that I drive the motor home, and Patty drives the Jeep down to the High School parking lot where I hook the two up. It was there that I remembered that I didn't remember to put the dog food into the motor home. So, back to the house for that most important commodity, nourishment for our 13 1/2 year, totally spoiled Beagle.

The drive east on I40 was pretty routine, and the drive north on Hwy 64 from Williams was also nothing to write home about. The wind picked up a little as we approached the Grand Canyon, but again, nothing to get excited about. Having already secured our RV spot when we were here a week ago, I pulled in and began the process of getting everything set up.

Having checked out the RV site last week, I knew I would be facing a challenge when it was time to get the motor home level. The landscape slopes downhill, and off to the right. To better equalize this problem, I brought some 2x12 lumber with us, and with those strategically placed under the tires, our air leveling system did the rest. I really like the automatic air leveling, but it doesn't quite have the ability to raise the motor home as high as a hydraulic jack system does. This is one of those few times that old fashioned technology worked in combination with the new fangled stuff.

After a delicious ham and potato casserole for dinner, we drove to Yavapai Point and marveled at the view of the Grand Canyon. I must admit, my acrophobia kicked in a little bit, as I looked over the edge to what seemed like a bottomless pit. This is one huge hole in the ground, and I can see why it's one of the natural wonders of the world.

At approx. 7,000 feet above sea level, we're starting to adjust to the cooler weather, with a forecast of possible snow flurries, day after tomorrow. I'm ready for the cooler temperatures, but I don't think I'm quite ready for the white stuff.

It was a good day, topped off with the discovery that our Sprint wireless card seems to be working quite well. It took about 3 minutes to download a photo, compared to just a few seconds at home. We can live with that, as long as the connection stays consistent and isn't interrupted.

Today, we both will be checking in at our respective work locations, and will be doing a few other things, as we prepare for what looks like a fun summer.

1 comment:

  1. Are you working on the north or south rim? I have great RV friends, Jim & Karen Eidson, who are working on the north rim (again).

    ReplyDelete