Total Pageviews

Friday, May 20, 2011

MORE SNOW

Yesterday morning, we awakened to find that a little more snow had fallen during the night, and even though not much stuck to the ground, it did stay in the trees for a short while. The first photo is the scene in front of our motor home.

About an inch stuck to the jeep

We had a few glimpses of the sun, as we spent a couple of hours on the shuttle buses. We took the Orange Route for the first time, and traveled to the east rim areas like Yaki and Mather Points. One of the nice things about the buses is that they are free, and you never have to wait more than just a few minutes until the next one comes along. We got off several times and once again marveled at the incredible views of the canyon. Pictures really don't do justice to this natural wonder.

Thank goodness there are railings and walls where it is straight down for hundreds of feet. Even with those barriers, I found myself slowly creeping up to the edge, with an ever present tingling in my stomach. My fear of heights isn't severe, but it certainly is noticeable at places like this.
I guess I never have to worry about stumbling over the edge of some cliff, cause in order for that to happen, I'd have to be near the edge, NOT!

I took this picture of Patty at Mather Point, and if you look closely in the background, there are several people standing on a point with no barriers. That tingling in my stomach grew a bunch just looking at those folks. The vista from Mather Point was especially dynamic, partially because the location sticks out into the canyon, and it's almost a 360 degree view.

Near the end of the day, we got off the bus at the Train Depot, and walked up to the El Tovar Hotel, and the Hopi House pictured above. Most of the Hopi House is a gift shop for Native American items, and the structure itself is worth the price of admission. It sits right across the plaza from the El Tovar, and is just a few steps from the Grand Canyon Rim. If Patty had a choice of where to work, this would be the place. She came up to me and said she found a pottery item that she really liked. Not that I needed to say anything, but I said "then get it".
She replied that the price was $3,500 dollars, and that it might have to wait for awhile. Some of the items, particularly the art, is up there, in respect to price.

Patty doesn't have a definite work start date, but I'll be starting orientation on Monday at 5am.
After riding the buses for a couple of days, and watching the different drivers, I think this is a job that I will enjoy, and the hours should go by pretty fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment