Total Pageviews

Thursday, May 12, 2011

THE GYPSY JOURNAL

May/June issue of the Gypsy Journal

A few days ago, Nick Russell, the editor of the Gypsy Journal, listed 15 must read blogs on his daily blog. When I read that my blog was among those 15, I must say I was not only surprised, but also a bit humbled.

When I started this blog a little over 2 years ago, we were preparing to leave our winter home here in Lake Havasu, and travel towards the east coast in our motor home. At the time, I thought that an online journal would be a good way to let our family and friends keep up with our travels. What I didn't know, is that a lot more people follow daily blogs than I realized. Prior to Nick listing my blog, I was getting about 25 hits a day. The day after his May 9th listing of the top 15 blogs, my blog received 295 views! I know a lot of folks read Nick's blog, but I had no idea that a simple listing of my blog would increase the readers that dramatically. I guess the power of the press comes in a variety of formats.

When Nick and Terry Russell left the 9-5 world about 10 years ago, they started the only RV related newspaper, published exclusively by full time RV'ers. It wasn't long after the first issue came out, that we discovered The Gypsy Journal somewhere in our travels. I can't even remember where we picked up our first issue, but as soon as we read it, we both knew that we wanted to be subscribers. Like more and more folks these days, I get an increasingly amount of news and information from the Internet. However, I'm an old newspaper junkie, that in years past, had to start my day with not only a cup of coffee, but also with the local newspaper. The Internet & TV will never take away the feel of newsprint. The Gypsy Journal is published 6 times a year, and a subscription is $20 per year, or $35 for 2 years. A subscription can be mailed to:

Gypsy Journal
1400 Colorado Street #C-16
Boulder City, NV 89005-2448

In our travels over the years, we have run into (not literally) Nick & Terry several times, and have been participants at many of their western RV rallies. When I read that they were going to be traveling this summer in the Pacific Northwest, I thought that perhaps we would bump into them, as our original plans were to do the same. When our jobs at the Grand Canyon were confirmed a few weeks ago, our summer itinerary changed for about the 3rd time.

We're busy taking care of many last minute things, before we depart this Monday for the Grand Canyon. We're both excited not only to the idea of living at the south rim, but to the new challenges of learning our jobs, and all that goes along with transitioning from being retired, to re-entering the work force for a few months.


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations! We have started to follow your blog and understand why Nick recommended it. Happy Trails!

    ReplyDelete