Total Pageviews

Friday, May 27, 2011

SLIDEOUT AWNINGS

Living room slideout awning with puddled water on top

When we arrived here at the Grand Canyon, I was relatively sure that we would be parked here for about 3 1/2 months. Several years ago, I came up with a relatively simple solution to a problem that exists for most RV's with slide outs. Not that my idea is unique. I've seen other RV's with the same fix for sagging, water puddled slide out awnings. A few RV's have more of an angle from where the awning is connected to the RV, to where the mechanism unrolls the awning. In those cases, the water runs off, and there's no issue. However, most RV slide out awnings are like mine, relatively flat. This allows water to puddle, which sags, and distorts the awning. Over time, the longevity of the awning is adversely affected.

The first picture shows small amounts of water on top of our living room slide out awning. In heavy rain, these small puddles become big puddles. Even with a small amount of water on top of the awning, the second picture shows how much the awning is distorted.

The fix isn't really very practical, unless you're going to be parked for awhile, because there is some set up, and tear down time involved. Anyone can build the supports pictured above, out of simple PVC pipe. Half inch is what I used, and it's plenty strong to keep the awning from sagging.

Another plus for this awning support system is that it lessens the amount of flapping when the wind decides to blow. During the almost 2 weeks that we have been here, we've had a few windy days, and I suspect there will be quite a few more.

Today is my last day of training, and I'm anxious to get out on my own. Dealing with large crowds will certainly have it's challenges, but I think this is going to be an enjoyable summer, and we're already talking about returning next year.

7 comments:

  1. The fix isn't really very practical, unless you're going to be parked for awhile, because there is some set up, and tear down time involved. Anyone can build the supports pictured above,

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first picture shows small amounts of water on top of our living room slide out awning. In heavy rain,

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey man can you give me the dimensions of this frame. I have this problem every time it rains. Drop me a message if you can. Thanks. Jeremy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use a regular beach ball just blow it up and put it under the awning

      Delete
  5. Thank you a bunch for sharing this with all of us you actually realize what you are talking about! Bookmarked. Please also seek advice from my site =). We could have a hyperlink change contract between us! melbourne blinds

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am disappointed in this “article”. I fail to see where you supply any real guidance as to keep the board in place, where to place board … all I know is you used a 1/2 in pvc pipe but how do I attach it and so many questions…so I’m left needing so much more from the “article”

    ReplyDelete