Total Pageviews

Friday, April 22, 2011

SAME JOB PROBLEM

Never one to give up on anything, if I think there is the remotest possibility of success, I think I finally have to give up once again. After looking at the problem of where to park the motor home at the Grand Canyon, where Patty and I had both been offered jobs for this summer, I finally concluded that it just wouldn't work. My April 12th blog post describes in more detail, the issues involved.

As Yogi Berra would say - "it's de ja vu all over again"! I have a phone interview today with Delaware North, the concessionaire for Yosemite National Park. The interview is relative to a shuttle bus driver position, that is open and available. Having worked as a supervisor for the transit system in Glacier National Park, and with other applicable qualifications, I'm fairly confident that I will be offered the job. The problem, (and it's a big one), is the same issue that we ran into with possible work camping jobs at the Grand Canyon. After exhausting all possibilities that I know of, there's nowhere close to the Yosemite Valley where we can park the motor home. According to preliminary emails with Delaware North, they do not have any RV spaces for employees.

I'm keeping the appointment to interview for the job, only because the interviewer might know of some option that I'm not aware off. It's doubtful, but right now, there's is a very remote possibility that I might have a job this summer. It all depends on having a place where we can park the motor home, and be reasonably close to work. If I wanted to live in a wall tent, and share it with another person, then it would be a slam dunk. Evidently, tents and living in a dorm, are the only options that are offered for employee housing.

Fortunately, we are in a position where we don't need to work. The idea of spending the summer at a spectacular place like the Grand Canyon, or Yosemite, is very appealing. The extra bucks that go along with working, are an added plus. However, it just doesn't look like it's in the cards, at least not for this summer.

1 comment:

  1. Wow ... this would be cool. I could come visit you often!! Ask if there are any sites at El Portal. There used to be a small park there I think, but it may have gone the way of the flood.

    ReplyDelete