Total Pageviews

Friday, April 1, 2011

CHP MEMORIES

In my last "Memories" post, I talked about our fastest patrol car, and this time, I'm staying with the equipment theme. For any person in law enforcement, their service weapon is without a doubt, the one piece of equipment that no officer can do without. When deadly force is necessary, and all other means have been exhausted, it's the last line of defense.

Smith & Wesson Model 28, 357 Magnum

When I graduated from the Academy in early 1969, our cadet class was one of the first to receive our safety equipment, compliments of the state. Earlier graduating classes were on their own to purchase their weapon and gear. My classmates and I were issued Smith & Wesson 38 caliber revolvers with a 6" barrel. These service revolvers were the smaller "K" frame, and after one year, they became our personal property. The CHP allowed us to carry either 38's or 357's, but we were only allowed to load the weapons with state issued 38 caliber, ball ammunition.

At the end of the first year, almost to the day, I sold the 38, and purchased a larger "N" frame, Smith & Wesson, Model 28, 357 Magnum, with a 6 inch barrel. (Pictured above). I remember feeling a lot more comfortable with this heavier, larger revolver. One of the trends in those days was to have the trigger and hammer either gold or silver plated. That was the "cool" look, so of course I had to have the trigger and hammer gold plated on my new 357 Magnum.

I carried this weapon on the job for about the next 6 years, then, a departmental decision forced me to make a choice. Somewhere in the state, the plating on an officer's revolver hammer either came off, or somehow jammed the gun's action. A departmental directive came down that prohibited any weapons if they had plated hammers or triggers. I either had to remove the plating, or purchase a new weapon. Not wanting to do the former, I picked the later.

Smith & Wesson Model 27, 357 Magnum

It was about 1975 that I purchased a S&W Model 27, (pictured above) and retired the Model 28. I carried this revolver for the rest of my career with the CHP. Both models were the heavier "N" frame, but the main difference was that the model 28 had a parkerized blue finish, and the model 27 had a gloss blue finish.

By then, the department had transitioned from issuing 38 caliber ball type ammo, to 38 caliber hollow point ammo. This improvement in stopping power was a welcome change, but many of us still loaded our weapons with 357 ammo. The prevailing thought was if deadly force became necessary, we wanted as much lethality as possible. I felt the 357 ammo might make the difference, and it would be better to deal with the consequences of not using 38 ammo, and still be alive.

During my later years, many departments were doing away with revolvers, and going with mostly 9mm semi-automatic service weapons. The CHP resisted this movement to more firepower, with the main argument being that revolvers were more reliable. The argument against revolvers finally won out, and after I retired, the CHP made the decision for their officers to switch to semi-automatics, using 40 caliber ammo.

Other than the range, I only fired my weapon once on the job, and that was to dispatch a badly injured horse, that had been hit by a truck. There were many times that my revolver came out of the holster, but fortunately, I never had to fire it at another human. I was only shot at once that I know of, but that's another story for a later time.

1 comment:

  1. Keep the CHP memories going-definitely interesting stuff. Thanks, Bob

    ReplyDelete