Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 21, 2009

DOGS ON THE BEACH


Our first activity yesterday, was the Garlic festival in Ocean Park. It started at 10am, and we arrived shortly thereafter. Within an hour, we had checked out the vendors and were ready to leave. This was basically a small town arts & crafts show, with a few food vendors. Some of the food folks had an item or two, that they attached the word garlic, but neither Patty or I felt inclined to pay $8 for a garlic hot dog. We drove back to Long Beach where I had a $10 cheeseburger, and found a train book in a local bookstore. Up until 1930, there was a 27 mile narrow gauge railroad that served the Long Beach Peninsula, and it was nicknamed "the clam shell railroad". It's hard for us to imagine that before roads, for about 50 years, railroads were the only transportation system.
We then drove down to the beach, for the 3rd annual Dogie Olympics. We watched dogs of all types, compete in the ball throw, an obstacle course, and a couple of other events. Some of the dogs were well disciplined, and many were more like our totally spoiled beagle. I think it was more fun watching the owners, than it was the dogs.
Today is Father's day, and I'm really proud of my two boys, Mike and Marc, and my stepson David. All 3 have grown up to be responsible, productive, young adults, and as parents, Patty and I more than happy, that they have accomplished much in their lives. I often wonder what my life would be, had my mother and father not been killed when I was just a baby. No regrets, just a lingering question that will never have an answer.


2 comments: