Total Pageviews

Sunday, June 14, 2009

CHANCE'S ON A CHO CHO












We arrived at the Seaside Thousand Trails yesterday afternoon, and our Internet connection here is much faster. I would have posted some of these pictures last week, but due to the very slow connection, I was barely able to keep the blog going.

The Oregon Coast Scenic Railway runs between Garibaldi and Rockway Beach, on the Tillamook Bay R.R. Except for this 6 mile stretch, the rail line is basically closed, due to a severe washout a few years ago. This tourist railroad was on my list of things to do, so we stopped in Garibaldi on our way to Seaside. The 6 mile stretch of track is along the ocean, so the scenery was excellent, but, the best part of this adventure was the locomotive that pulled the 3 cars. The 1910 Heisler, geared, steam engine is rare, and I was glad they were using it instead of a diesel. During the era of logging railroads, there were 3 geared locomotives manufactured for pulling heavy loads, often on steep grades. The most popular was the Shay, followed by the Climax and Heisler, and I can now say that I have ridden on trains pulled by all 3 engines. Not sure where our next train encounter will be, but I do know there will be one, somewhere.

We are parked a few blocks from town, and as we turned off Hwy 101, we passed a large outlet mall that's within walking distance. Hmm, I think I know where my wife may want to go today.

No comments:

Post a Comment