Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 19, 2013

A RELIEF VALVE


 
Planning, or thinking ahead, is usually something that I try and do when it comes to construction projects.  Not that I always consider everything, but at the last minute yesterday, I started thinking that maybe someday, the metal RV shade cover will indeed be built.  The side of that roof (approx. 480 square feet) next to the house will eventually be draining a bunch of rain water into the area between the house and the concrete footing.   By finishing the walkway with a concrete connection to the building foundation, I would effectively be creating a dam that would prevent water from draining away from the house.   So, I decided to tear out the two wooden concrete forms, and place a 4 inch  drain pipe next to the footing.



It didn't take all that long to dig the trench, and lay the plastic pipe.  I stopped at the corner of the other footing where later, another drain line will connect, and they will both drain water toward the wash.  The average annual rainfall totals in the Tucson area is 11-12 inches, but during the monsoon season (July/Aug), a lot of water can come down very quickly.
 

It may turn out that this drain is overkill, but as they say, I think I would rather be safe than sorry.  Besides, it was just another excuse to burn some diesel in the tractor.




By mid afternoon, I had poured, and finished the concrete for the walkway, and the drain.  Today, I'll remove the forms, do some cleanup, and decide how much, and what color of landscape rock I'm going to put on either side of the walkway.


No comments:

Post a Comment