Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 28, 2012

SAMI & LOTS OF ANTLERS

After my 4 legged alarm clock awakened me at a little before 5am, we stepped out the door to be greeted by 5 Mule Deer, all gathered around the motor home. Even though this is not an uncommon occurrence, I decided to step back inside and retrieve my camera, since it's usually one or two hooved critters, not five.

Sami doesn't have a lot of interest in these much larger animals, but one of the young Bucks was very curious about this little Canine. Keeping in mind what happened last year, when one of the female Elk struck Sami on the top of the head with one of her front hooves, I kept the leash tight, ready to quickly yank her out of harms way. The two got pretty close, but there was no aggression on the part of the inquisitive Deer. Moments later, Sami decided she would much rather go back to sniffing the ground, instead of having a face to face with this animal that has funny looking things sticking out of it's head.

The Deer and the Elk at Grand Canyon National Park, are what we call humanized, and have very little fear of us. When I was returning to the motor home after taking Sami for a short walk, I had to almost push one of the Deer out of my way. Unfortunately, their approach to the roads and vehicles is very similar - not much fear. As a result, several of them are hit by vehicles every year. I guess if there's any good to that, the park service uses the road kill, as carrion sustenance for the California Condors that live here at the Grand Canyon.

"OK dad, get these critters out of my way, I have to go potty"!

This is where I had to scare one of these guys away, so we could get back inside the motor home.

Our morning greeting party consisted of 5 Mule Deer. Four are pictured above.

A few mornings ago, while sitting at the kitchen table, I took a couple of pictures of this very large Bull Elk, as it wandered by the side of the motor home. Seeing these magnificent creatures around our motor home, has become pretty routine, but they are still an impressive sight. We don't see the big males as much as the females, and I suspect it's because they are far fewer in number.

Today is my second day off, and the one day of the week that Patty and I have off together. Not sure what's on the agenda, but I'm sure we'll find something to do.

1 comment:

  1. Very cool. Is this the employee campground? It doesn't look bad at all.

    ReplyDelete