Total Pageviews

Saturday, June 2, 2012

FIRST ELK BABY ARRIVES

More often than not, the morning is usually the time when the Elk and Deer wander through Trailer Village, as was the case yesterday. These young male Elk (Bulls) were grazing outside the motor home, as I took a few pictures.

What I couldn't get a picture of, was one of the first baby Elk to be born in the park this year. While driving the Blue (Village) Route yesterday, one of the drivers broadcast on the radio for all of us to be cautious around Market Plaza, as a newborn Elk Calf and it's mother were close to the road. While driving past the Yavapai Lodge on my way to the Grand Canyon Visitors Center, I spotted the newborn nursing, while the mother stood within 50 feet of the road. This is the time of year when the Rocky Mountain Elk, and the Mule Deer give birth, and within a few weeks, we will start seeing more and more of these calf's and fawn's alongside the road.

This is also the time of year that as drivers we have to be much more cautious. These newborn critters, especially the fawns, are more apt to jump into the road in front of traffic. It's inevitable that a few of these four legged park inhabitants will lose the battle against the four wheeled occupants of the park road system. Last year, there were 3 bus versus Elk/Deer that I know of, and they were all at night. One of the buses sustained a fair amount of damage, taking out the windshield. Most of my work shifts only take me into a short amount of darkness, so, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't become one of the statistics.

No comments:

Post a Comment