Total Pageviews

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

PARIS TO SAN FRANCISCO

Today is Patty's travel day from Europe back to the states. Tomorrow, she flies from S.F. to Las Vegas, where the shuttle will pick her up for the drive home to Lake Havasu. Starting tomorrow, I begin my two days off, and I'll be making a quick trip home to change vehicles, and then we'll both return to the canyon for the summer. Not sure when Patty will start her job, but according to the last communication with her employer, whenever she got here, they would put her to work.

Speaking of work, I sometimes wonder about what is really going on in this country when it comes to jobs, or the supposed lack thereof. Since we stepped away from our Harley-Davidson Dealership over 10 years ago, we have had little, or no difficulty finding work camping jobs. Even though the seasonal work environment is a bit different, and employers rarely offer much in the way of benefits, the jobs are out there for those that want them. Our biggest challenge has often been trying to choose between several job opportunities. What it often boiled down to was where we wanted to live for part of the year, or, did we just want to stay retired and travel during the summer. When unemployment benefits stretch into the 2 year category, one has to wonder if the entitlement mentality has become the dominant factor. It's a complicated issue, but I know one thing, if I want to work, I haven't had any trouble finding a job.

1 comment:

  1. Well that's reassuring Dan! I'm working a summer job in Vegas but unfortunately the World Series of Poker numbers are 20% down this year and may have to consider employment in the fall on this first leg of the Journey.

    If I don't end up staying much longer in Vegas, I'll be pointed towards the Grand Canyon either before or after I head to Phoenix, so I may be seeing you!

    ReplyDelete