Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

THE TILLMAN/RHONEMUS FAMILY

This family picture was taken right after Aunt Martha's graveside service.
Martha's maiden name was Tillman when she married Harry Rhonemus. Their four children are Karen, Diane, John, and Paul. Between them, their are 7 grandchildren, and 2 great grand children.

I feel like a "Road Warrior"! I left Lake Havasu City at 8:30am on Sunday Morning, arriving in Stockton, CA late afternoon. I hit the road south for AZ a little after 2pm the next day, pulling into the driveway last night, a few minutes after 10pm. 1,136 miles within an approx. 37 hour window.

It was important for me to attend the funeral of my Aunt Martha, and I would have traveled farther, and longer if that would have been necessary. The death of a loved one typically brings families together, and I was able to see many of my cousins who I haven't seen in years, and some I've never met. The service was a blend of traditional church spirituality, and a celebration, with several people speaking about different ways that my Aunt touched their lives.

One of the things I learned about my very strong willed Aunt, was that over the years, she and her husband Harry had a debate about staying in a community where their family had become a minority. They moved into a new house on the southwest side of Stockton in the mid 50's, and as the years progressed, the area became more and more populated with different ethnic groups. The congregation of their Trinity Presbyterian Church had become predominately Filipino, and over the years, many of the Caucasian families moved out of the area. Despite the fact that the Rhonemus Family had become a minority, my Aunt Martha refused any attempts to be persuaded to move. Several members of the church spoke of Martha's involvement in their lives, and her active participation in the church. Pastor Sarah Reyes fulfilled a promise that she made to Martha, by returning to the church that she attended as a young adult, and speaking passionately about how Martha touched her life. It was a fitting tribute to a person who saw no blur between ethnicity, but rather, truly believed in the fundamental principle that all men are created equal. Her Daughter Diane summed it up beautifully, when she publicly thanked her mother for raising her in a diverse community, and teaching her that understanding is more powerful than intolerance.

After the graveside service, and the family picture, the drive south began in heavy rain. Around Bakersfield, the rain let up, and I made it over the Tehachipi's before dark. The mountains were capped with a new dusting of snow, and it was a bit chilly (35), when I stopped for gas at the Tehachipi Summit.

Back home again, and another family chapter closed, it's time to move on, literally. This morning, the diesel fumes will once again be flowing from the motor home's exhaust, as we head for Tucson. Tomorrow, we start setting up for the Tucson Rodeo which opens a 9 day run this weekend. Our merchandise trailer will be arriving tomorrow afternoon from Indianapolis, and it takes a day or so to get everything ready to go. Reporting next from Tucson, AZ.

Happy Birthday my love!

No comments:

Post a Comment