Total Pageviews

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

REMEMBERING AUNT MARTHA

This photo was taken in the spring of 2009. My Cousin Diane, Aunt Martha, and Patty.

The loss of a family member is always difficult, no matter what the circumstances. My Aunt Martha, (I called her Dee Dee), who lived in Stockton, CA for most of her life, passed yesterday at the age of 86. She and her husband Harry, who died a few years ago, raised four children, my Cousins Karen, Diane, John, and Paul. When Patty and I last visited in October of 2011, we became more aware of her advancing years, and even though the news of her death wasn't a big surprise, it still came with a lot of sadness.

My Aunt Martha was the last link to my mother and father, who I never knew. When my parents were killed in an automobile accident in 1946, I was 6 weeks old. I recently learned from my Aunt Martha, that she and my Grandmother Alice were babysitting me when the accident happened. I simply cannot imagine the devastating impact that horrific news must have had on my Aunt, and my Grandmother.

Whenever we visited my Aunt, she always had stories, and new details about her younger life with her sister, who was my mother. I so looked forward to hearing anything that my Aunt had to say about my parents, and probably should have recorded some of those conversations. During the last few years, she provided me with many pictures, and memorabilia of my mom and dad that I did not have. I'm so grateful that she and my Cousin Diane found, and passed those irreplaceable items on to me.

The inevitability of life ending at some point, is part of the cycle that repeats itself with every generation. Because of the circumstances surrounding my very early years, I always shared a special relationship with my Aunt Martha, and I'm so glad that I was able to spend some time with her during her last years. Rest in peace Dee Dee, you were a very special person.

1 comment: