Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 5, 2012

SUPER SUNDAY

Today is the day that over 150 million folks around the world will be tuned in to a football game, that for the 46th time, is called the Super Bowl. The amount of revenue generated by this one football game is almost beyond comprehension. Advertisers line up to pay 3 1/2 million dollars to the TV network for a 30 second commercial! Over the years, the new commercials have added almost as much interest as the game. Thank goodness for DVR, so now, we can replay some of the good commercials. Our friends Bob & Diana Rush are coming over this afternoon for a mini Super Bowl Party, and I'm sure there will be plenty of snacks and food.

I'm not as much of a football fan as I used to be, but no matter who the 2 teams happen to be, the hype of the Super Bowl usually generates my interest. The fact that the game is being played in Indianapolis, at Lucas Oil Stadium has further peaked my interest in today's contest between the New York Giants, and the New England Patriots. Forest & Charlotte Lucas have a huge presence in NHRA Championship Drag Racing, and their son Morgan Lucas drives a Top Fuel Dragster. Our friends, Bob & Shirl Kase work for the Lucas Family, and over the years, I've had a few conversations with Forest Lucas. With the game, the Madonna half time show, and all of the other activities taking place in a stadium that I have a small connection with, I'm a little more interested than I normally would be. One more added connection to the stadium is the fact that the Company who manages part of the concessions at Lucas Stadium is MainGate, the outfit that we used to contract with when we pulled the Harley-Davidson merchandise trailer with our motor home, and the same company that we sell merchandise for at the Tucson Rodeo.

Our friends Len & Ellie Meacham, who have their motor home parked at Emerald Cove near Parker, came by for dinner last night. We were parked with them in the desert near Quartzsite, and it won't be long before they will start their journey around the country, working at many of the NASCAR races. Hopefully, we'll get to see them again before they head east.

As Hank Jr. used to sing on Monday night - "Are you ready for some football"? I'm ready, and I hope that my oldest son Michael, who just started a 3 month deployment in Afghanistan, is also able to catch the game.

2 comments:

  1. God bless and protect your son during his deployment to Afghanistan. I am thankful for his service. We aren't particularly interested in one team or the other winning, but will enjoy the Super Bowl just because.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mike will be in my thoughts and prayers during his deployment. Is he in the military or a contractor?

    God bless,
    John D.

    ReplyDelete