Total Pageviews

Monday, June 14, 2010

N.H.R.A. MEMORIES

We didn't go anywhere yesterday, and while walking Sami, I snapped a few pictures of this very nice Thousand Trails Park, south of Bend, OR. Often on Sunday, I don't venture too far from the TV, because there's usually some type of motor sports competition being broadcast from somewhere, and I just happen to be a competitive racing junkie. The National Hot Rod Ass'n (NHRA), drag racing tour, finished their weekend of racing in Englishtown, N.J. yesterday, and while I was watching the action on TV, I couldn't help but remember when we were there in 2002 and 2003. Our two years on the NHRA circuit, left us with lots of good memories, and a few bad ones. Unfortunately, the Englishtown track is one where the memories are mostly bad. Serious injuries, or deaths don't happen very much in this sport, due to all of the safety innovations that have been implemented over the years. I guess Englishtown is the exception, because in 2 of the last 3 years, there has been a fatality at this facility. Thank goodness, it doesn't happen very often.

Back in 2002, when we got the last minute word, that our Harley-Davidson Drag Bike Team was
not coming to the track, arrangements were made for us to take the H-D Screamin Eagle merchandise trailer to a nearby Harley-Davidson Dealer, in Camden, N.J. That first year of the new, H-D factory team, this was not an uncommon occurrence, and when it happened, we often found ourselves at the local H-D Dealership, displaying the race merchandise. It was raining that weekend, and soon after arriving, I took Sami out, very near a busy street. When a gust of wind almost carried me and my umbrella away, I was distracted for a few seconds, and Sami ventured a few feet into the street, right into the path of a passing taxi cab. I didn't see her get hit, but I saw her rolling toward the curb, and my heart sunk. When I got to her, I thought she was dead, and of course, I was already blaming myself for this tragedy. Fortunately, the cabbie stopped, and the Camden Police were there very quickly. The cop told me of a 24 hr veterinary hospital, about 8 miles away, where they take their K-9's, and the cab driver offered to give me a ride. During the cab ride, Sami regained consciousness, and I started to feel that perhaps, we might not lose her. After an emergency exam, the Vet. told me that she was probably going to be OK, that there were no broken bones, but they wanted to monitor her overnight, in case there were internal injuries. The Cab driver gave me a ride back to the H-D Dealer in Camden, and when I asked him what I owed, he said nothing. He felt responsible, but I shoved $40 into his hand, and told him it was not his fault, and thanked him for stopping and providing me and my dog, with transportation to the Veterinary Hospital. The end of the story was a good one, despite the physical trauma to the dog, and the mental trauma to Patty and I. My N.H.R.A. memories of 2002 & 2003 are mostly good, but not so good of this particular weekend in Englishtown, N.J.

No comments:

Post a Comment