Total Pageviews

Thursday, February 4, 2010

THE HOME PROJECTS




We've been home now for about 5 days, since camping in the desert near Quartzsite and Yuma, and I've been busy with a couple of projects in the backyard. When we purchased this new home in 2002, there was no landscaping, no perimeter wall, no concrete in the backyard, and no plants or trees. I finished the front yard several years ago, and have been seriously working on the backyard for about 4-5 years. It's about 90% done, and the most recent project was to paint the shed I had built last winter. Two coats of paint and the trim took about 2 days. From my days in the Army, where it seemed that painting was a second job, I've always said that I hate to paint. Actually, I kind of enjoyed this small project, especially seeing the fruits of my labor when the job was completed. Next, I started digging extension trenches for my irrigation system, which will allow some additional areas for plants and trees. I had almost forgotten how hard it is to dig in this ground, which is full of rocks, both big and small. After 2 days of digging, and the removal of one rock that I called the other half of Gibraltar, I finished the trenches yesterday afternoon. Today, I'll get the plastic irrigation pipe laid in the ditches, and start covering everything up. The next part of this project is to build a planter on the house side of the shed, and eventually, another planter next to the fence. If the old muscles hold out, I'm hoping to get all of this done, before we take off for Tucson, and our annual gig at the Tucson Rodeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment