Total Pageviews

Saturday, October 10, 2009

DRIVING ACROSS TEXAS

Night before last, it rained pretty hard on us, while we were parked at the Thousand Trails, next to Medina Lake Texas. About the time I went outside to unhook our utilities, the rain slowed, and we quickly drove out of it, as we headed west on I10. If you've never driven across Texas on I10, let me tell you that it's a long drive. From Orange, TX on the east to Anthony, TX at the west end of I10, is 877 miles. It always takes at least 2 days to cross Texas on I10, although I almost did it in one day last year on the Harley. On my return trip from a visit to Mike and Amy's in Georgia, I rode about 750 miles from Houston to El Paso. That was a long day in the saddle! Yesterday, we drove completely out of the cloud cover into sunshine, but the temperatures were almost perfect, in the upper 60's to low 70's. Last night the temperature plummeted to a bone chilling 58 degrees, and I'm in weather heaven. Have I mentioned that I'm not a big fan of hot, humid weather? We stopped at.........you got it, the only Wal-Mart for hundreds of miles, in Fort Stockton. Back in Feb, 2003, after the Phoenix Drag Race, we were headed to the next race in Florida, along with 2 other couples, and when we got to Fort Stockton, we were stopped because I10 was completely closed, all the way to San Antonio, due to an ice storm. We debated whether to stay here at the Wal-Mart, or go south on Hwy 285, and into San Antonio on Hwy 90, and we picked the later. Even though there was still lots of ice, those highways were open, and we made to San Antonio late in the day. On this trip, it's nice to not have to make the drive across Texas in a couple of days. In fact, with our stops, this trip across the Lone Star State will take us about a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment