Total Pageviews

Monday, August 29, 2011

A FLIGHT OVER THE FIRES

On the spur of the moment, on my next to the last set of days off before leaving the Grand Canyon, I decided to go flying. Grand Canyon Airlines offers the workers in the park a great deal at $20 a flight, and this is the second time I've taken a 1 hr. flight over, and around the canyon.

Cessna Caravan

Besides not having anything else to do, I was curious about how a few forest fires in the area would look from the air. One of the fires has been burning on the north rim since being started by lightning on July the 4th. All of the the 3 fires that I got pictures of, are burning in uninhabited areas, and they are being allowed to burn their way into a natural conclusion.

The muddy Colorado River west of it's junction with the Little Colorado River

This fire is burning south east of the Grand Canyon Village

During these 2 flights over the Canyon, I've been taking a mental inventory of the forest service, and national park roads. Next year, if we return as planned, the KLR 650 Dual Sport Motorcycle is coming with us, and I can see a few of my days off on the back country dirt roads, exploring the South Rim area.

The Pilot Fire started on July 4th, and has burned almost 3,000 acres

On some days, the Pilot Fire sends huge plumes of smoke into the atmosphere, and depending on which way the wind is blowing, the smoke often ends up in the canyon. On this day, it didn't look like much of a fire, as the smoke was hardly visible.

This small fire is on the North Rim, and like the other 2, was caused by lightning

This second flight over the canyon was as enjoyable as the first one, and since I was alone, the lady pilot said it was OK to sit in the co-pilot seat. The forward view was awesome, and when ever I fly in small planes, I always regret having not completed my one attempt to become a licensed private pilot. While living in Los Banos, CA, I took a ground school at the community college, but didn't pursue the license any further. For me, flying in small planes is just plain fun!
Flying in bigger people movers, like commercial jets is only fun during the take off and landings. I'm not particularly looking forward to our December flight to Florida, but I sure am looking forward to cruising the Caribbean with our kids and Grand Daughter.

Air Force One landed here at the Grand Canyon last year, on this 9,000' runway


No comments:

Post a Comment