Total Pageviews

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

CHP MEMORIES


1982 5.0 liter Special Service Package (SSP) Mustang

In 1982, the CHP went to the Ford Motor Company, and asked if they could build a pursuit vehicle, capable of chasing down high speed violators. Ford stepped up to the plate, and came out with the above Mustang, capable of top speeds in the 120-130 mph range. These vehicles were equipped with manual transmissions, and were advertised to police agencies as "this Ford chases Porsches for a living".

The prior decade of patrol vehicles were of the full size sedan type, like the Dodge Polara, and the Ford Crown Victoria. From about 1972 on, the performance of these vehicles was pretty anemic, as the emphasis in Detroit was for smaller, emission type motors, and less performance. As a result, the top speeds for police vehicles kept falling, and it became much harder to enforce maximum speed laws on the wide open interstate highways like I5.

I can remember one night in the late 1970's, my partner and I spotted a Porsche traveling north bound on I5, at a very high rate of speed. We were driving a Dodge, equipped with an overhead light bar, and a little over 100 mph was as fast as the slug would go. We made a u-turn, and after what seemed like forever, we closed to within about 500 feet, and turned on the the red & blue lights. Instead of seeing brake lights on the Porsche, all we saw was disappearing tail lights, as the driver accelerated to probably 40-60 mph faster than our top speed. We never got close enough for a license number, but still called in a failure to yield, in hopes that perhaps the adjacent office would have better luck. Without the ability to stay at least close, this scenario played out more times than I care to admit.

In 1983, our office got the first Mustang, and despite the cramped interior, this was probably the fastest CHP vehicle since the 1969 Dodge. It didn't have the top speed of the 69 Dodge, but it was 20-30 mph faster than anything we had driven in many years. The manual transmission was at times problematic, when multi tasking was required. Trying to shift through the gears, talk on the radio, and make notes, all at the same time, was sometimes challenging. But, I have to admit, banging through the gears, while accelerating after a speeder, was a performance junkies dream come true.

For the next decade, Ford built approx. 15,000 of these SSP (Special Service Package) Mustangs, that were delivered to over 60 police agencies. Most of the departments were State Highway Patrols, and the CHP was the initial recipient of 405 of the 1982 Mustangs.

Most of our enforcement efforts in the Los Banos Office were targeted towards Interstate 5, and CA State Route 152. Both of these highways are long, and straight, where high speed enforcement was the top priority. The Ford Mustang was a welcome relief to many years of driving underpowered patrol vehicles.

4 comments:

  1. Tom wants to know Sid it have air conditioning?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom wants to know Sid it have air conditioning?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my Dad saying some of the newer guys didn't know how to drive manual trannys. I think that surprised him. I know it did me, considering my first vehicle was a 63 Chevy long bed with granny gears that was my grandpa's old construction truck. Dad taught me to drive it. I figured, he should start teaching some officers how to drive stick, or maybe I should have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After my 6 yr USAF enlistment, I changed my MP Staff Sgt stripes for CHP Cadet at 24, graduating from CTC V 84 in March '85. I almost quit during the academy, despite high 90 scores and a -6 min mile. It's not that I was wimping out I just suspected the job and I were hardly a match.

    For who knows what reason the job was far from "fun" for me and sure enough 4 months after my father passed (right when I completed FTO training, even though I had just received my successful eval, after my days off I went and turned everything in. I have absolutely no regrets as no matter how talented we might be, without desire nothing will happen.

    Congratulations on your career and enjoying your retirement! Your blog is very interesting. BTW, I grew up in Chambless, CA (80 miles east of Barstow) and started driving when I was about 12 (but not on the highway). My dad had an old International "semi" and the neighbors marveled as I drove them around in it. We had a couple of Mustangs in the Newhall office and yep, as I was going from the S/ I-5 to E 210, suddenly a Porsche entered the freeway up ahead and disappeared. Having grown up driving stick shift, soon enough he had me right up on his mirror and a cite for 85+ was his. He was shocked at how quickly I came up behind him and knew better than contesting the cite.

    ReplyDelete