Total Pageviews

Saturday, August 13, 2011

THE ELK RUT

The white antlers are absent the velvet, and will turn darker as we get further into the Elk breeding season

Yesterday morning, we saw the first signs of the Elk Rut, just in front of our motor home. The top picture shows one of the very large male bull Elk, with the velvet gone from his antlers. This is one of the first things that happens to the males, leading up to the breeding season. Soon, the more dominant males will start to bugle loudly, as their necks swell up, and they try to establish influence over the females. A few weeks from now, the small groups of males will separate, and they will start to compete for dominance over the groups of females.

Several years ago when we were in Canada during the fall, we witnessed the Elk Rut first hand, as a dominant bull Elk was being very aggressive in his attempt to keep his harem of females under control. When I watch the tourists, camera in hand, walk within just a few feet of these large male Elk, I keep my fingers crossed that the Elk's aggressive behavior isn't taken out on one of these clueless amateur photographers. During the breeding season, these 7-900 pound males can be quite dangerous.

These guys haven't started to lose the velvet on their antlers

I know, I promised not to do any more pictures of Elk or Deer, unless one was attacking me, or the motor home. But, as these guys walked past our front door yesterday morning, I just couldn't help myself. Many of the residents here in Trailer Village, put out large containers that they keep filled with water. I suspect that is one of the reasons that the Elk and Deer are seen in the area, almost on a daily basis.

No comments:

Post a Comment