Total Pageviews

Sunday, July 24, 2011

DRIVING WITH IDIOTS

One of the big challenges facing all of the shuttle bus drivers here at the Grand Canyon National Park, is dealing with the public who are often lost, confused, or who just plain ignore the normal rules of the road. Getting around the park can be confusing, and it's understandable when a person gets lost, and perhaps makes a mistake. But, the blatant ignoring of signs, speeding, driving the wrong way, and countless other traffic violations,that would land you in court anywhere else, seems to be ignored by almost everyone, except those of us who see it everyday.

With my background in traffic law enforcement, it sometimes drives me to distraction. I have to keep telling myself, there's no red or blue lights on the front of my bus, and no, I can't write traffic citations any more.

The photos that I took yesterday are at the check in area, at the public RV park. This just happens to be a place where the buses have to make a U-Turn, in order to get into the bus stop. The no parking sign is supposed to keep that lane open, so that we can service the stop. Several times a day, we have to stop behind the miscreant, sign violator, and honk the horn until they decide to move. Sometimes it's quickly, and sometimes we are totally ignored.

I recognize that this particular sign isn't billboard size, but come on, when you park right next to it, how can anybody not see it? Maybe if our federal government wasn't so broke, they could install a flashing neon no parking sign like those on the strip in Vegas, and perhaps the RV drivers would pay more attention.

In the scheme of things, this parking violation is not a big deal, but more of any inconvenience to us bus drivers. Some of the other traffic issues we deal with on a daily basis, are often much more serious. I almost got hit yesterday by a rental motor home, that blew through a stop sign at about 30 mph! Where's my red light and ticket book? I wonder how a high speed pursuit would look on TV, with a transit bus chasing an RV?

No comments:

Post a Comment