Total Pageviews

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

A BIKE RIDE TO HERMITS REST

When we started the summer here at the Grand Canyon, my plan was to occasionally ride the bicycle to work. Well, that has happened exactly zero times. It's not so much the distance (only 2+ miles), or the exercise involved. It's more the fact that 4 of my 5 work days end in darkness. Without a full moon, or an adequate light, it's really dark here at night, and pedaling where I can't see, hasn't been the most appealing thing to do. So "the plan" hasn't been executed as I thought it might.

So, day before yesterday, I decided to dust the cobwebs off the bike, and head down the hill towards the Hermits Rest Road. From where we are parked, it's a little under 2 miles to the village, and down hill almost all of the way. At the beginning of Hermits Rest Road, I loaded the bike on one of our shuttle buses, and unloaded it about 3 miles from the end of the road. My ride on the paved rim trail, next to the edge of the canyon, was as you might expect - spectacular! I get paid to look at this marvelous canyon, 2-3 days a week, and believe me, the scenery only gets better with time.

Looking down on the Granite Rapids from the rim trail

By the time I got out to Hermits Rest, one of our typical afternoon thunderstorms had moved in, and so I loaded the bike back on one of the buses. I had planned on riding the bike back, at least part of the way, but that didn't happen due to the rain. I think on a future day off, I'll try this again, perhaps on a better weather day.

This is the huge fireplace inside the Hermits Rest building

1 comment:

  1. Isn't it nice to enjoy what others come to see all day long and as you said, you get paid to see it every day. Too many people get numb to the area they are in and forget to take a deep breath and enjoy it. We do as often as we can since there are places we may not be back to visit again and always want to soak it all in. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete