Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 29, 2010

SNOW IN THE SIERRAS

After checking, and rechecking the weather forecast for yesterday, particularly in the central sierras, we decided to hit the road for Nevada. I had made a reservation at a Passport America RV Park in Fernley, NV, so we said good bye to the Lake of the Springs T.T., leaving mid morning to a combination of sunshine and showers. By the time we reached Auburn, CA on I80, it was mostly sunshine, and despite the Friday start of Memorial Day Weekend, the traffic over Donner Pass wasn't that bad. As we climbed the west slope of the Sierras, it wasn't long before we started seeing a whole lot of that white stuff called snow. There was so much snow at the top, that I fully expected to see a bunch of skiers at Boreal Ski Area. Instead, it looked like a ghost town, not a soul to be seen, as we cruised by with all of the other traffic headed toward Nevada. Just past Truckee, we started to see construction ahead signs, and when I saw that wide loads had to exit, I knew we were coming up on some very narrow lanes. Sure enough, near the CA/NV border, the truck lane was reduced to 10' in width, with temporary concrete guard rails on the left, and a metal guardrail on the right. The outside width of our motor home is 8' 6", so if I split the lane perfectly, that left 9" of clearance on either side. When we first started RV'ing, with this type of scenario, I probably would have been panic stricken. This situation wasn't that big of a deal, however, I must admit that the intensity of my concentration went up a couple of notches. We buzzed through Reno, and arrived at the Desert Rose RV park in the mid afternoon. We're here for 2 more nights, and tomorrow, we'll drive the 40 miles or so, to Carson City, where I have tickets to ride on the new, extended, Virginia & Truckee Tourist Railroad Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment