Total Pageviews

Saturday, May 1, 2010

SEE SPOT WORK

When I first heard of this device, less than a year ago, I knew it could be an invaluable item to have in my inventory of gadgets. This little hand held piece of plastic, is the world's first satellite messenger, utilizing the GPS satellite system to determine a location, and transmitting that information via satellite, to either a 911 center, or, to whoever has been designated by the owner, and pre-programed into the system. My particular need for something like this, is almost exclusively for the times that I am off alone on either my Harley, or my KLR 650, dual sport bike. On the Harley, I'm usually within range of cell phone towers, but not always, as I like to ride in remote areas. On the KLR, especially when I'm off road, the cell phone often does not work. That's where the SPOT could become a lifeline, in case of emergency. In addition to the 911 feature, there are two other levels of notification, that the SPOT will send out. If the need for help does not meet a life threatening criteria, but assistance is necessary, a signal can be sent, that generates pre-programed emails to whoever has been designated. The third signal that can be sent, is an OK, pre-programed email to designated recipients. In all 3 cases, the emails link to Google maps, and the location of the signal is within just a few feet. Yesterday, I took the SPOT into the backyard, sent an OK message, which generated an email to our computers. When I checked that email a few minutes later, I clicked on the Google map link, and zoomed right into our backyard. With most new technologies, I'm usually one of the last to embrace whatever it is. The SPOT however, is something that might make the difference, and it wasn't hard for me to accept it's technical abilities.

No comments:

Post a Comment