Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 28, 2010

RV ELECTRICAL POWER

Perhaps, the list is never ending, but, one of the things on my list for the motor home, has been a power management device. Most, if not all RV manufacturers, do not install a device that guards against low or hi voltage. With the multiple circuit boards and electronic devices in our motor home, they are the most susceptible to low RV park voltage, or conversely, spikes or surges in AC current. Camping World sells the most popular device, with the Surge Guard brand name, and it protects against low, or high incoming voltage by shutting down the power if it is too high, or too low. What it doesn't do is to boost the voltage in the event that it's too low, as we have found at a few RV parks. As the saying goes, we've been "rolling the dice" for many years, as I have never purchased any type of voltage protection device, and fortunately, we have never had a problem. There have been multiple times however, that I have either known people, or heard of folks who have had serious problems with unregulated AC voltage, that has caused damage to their RV electrical components. Yesterday, I solved this particular problem by purchasing a Power Master voltage controller and the installation kit. After a lot of research, I had narrowed the decision down to this company, and the Hughes brand. When we went into town yesterday, we made a tour of the big tent that has transitioned from the RV show, to the Arts and Crafts show. Many of the vendors who were there last week, are still there, and one of those vendors is Power Master. My friend Jim Stebbins and I talked to one of the owners of Power Master, Todd Coffelt, who previously worked for Hughes, his current main competitor. Todd answered a lot of my questions, and demo'd his 50 amp Power Master. I'm always a bit skeptical, when someone is trying to sell a product, but after about 30 minutes of questions, I was convinced that this is the best product of it's kind. It not only protects against voltage spikes and surges, it also boosts low voltage 12%, which takes away the worry of circuit board damage in appliances like our refrigerator, air conditioners, microwave, etc. In the end, Jim and I both bought a Power Master voltage controller, and even with my reluctance to mess with electrical stuff, the installation is pretty straight forward, and I'll install it when we get home in a few days. And guess what? The Power Master is actually made in the U.S.A.!

No comments:

Post a Comment