Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 7, 2010

MEXICAN DENTISTRY


The photo above, is a view from the U.S. side of the border crossing, at Algodones, Mexico, and I took the picture in the huge parking lot, run by the local Quechan Indian Tribe. From the parking lot, it's a short walk across the border into Algodones, where this small Mexican border town is well known for it's multitude of pharmacies, dentists, and optical businesses. Patty and I have been getting our glasses and some meds here for years. Last winter was the first time I tried the services of a Mexican Dentist, with good results. I must admit, for the first time visitor, this scene isn't one that inspires a lot of confidence in what lies on the other side of the border. In fact, if one pays attention to all of the violence going on along the Mexican border, particularly in border towns like Juarez, Laredo, and Tijuana, you might take a look at the above, get back into your car, and dismiss the idea of obtaining any services in Mexico. Despite what is happening along other parts of the Mexican/U.S. Border, we have never felt unsafe in Algodones. Yesterday, I had an appointment with my Mexican Dentist, Carmen Ovando, who I saw last winter. It turned out that my broken front upper tooth is more problematic than I had thought. The good news is that despite being broken near the gum line, it can still be saved but, a post has to be installed in the tooth. Carmen sent me to an Endodontist who after examining the tooth, said he could install a post, but, I need to have minor gum surgery, in order for enough of the tooth to be exposed. This morning, I have an appointment with a Periodontist, who will trim back the gums around the tooth. I know this is a lot of specific information, but the point of all this, is that all the dental services available at, or through your local dentist, is also available in Algodones. One of the other positives, is that you don't have to wait a week or two for crowns, or other lab generated prosthetics. Generally, your crown, or bridge is ready the next day. The really big positive of utilizing the services of Mexican Dentists, is the much lower cost. About 75% less than U.S. costs is the general rule. My dental insurance pays the same percentages, and with a yearly maximum of $2,000, I'm able to have a lot more work done, without getting into a purely out of pocket situation. I'm sure there are some horror stories out there, but so far, I have had only a positive experience with the dental services in Algodones. If you are staying in the Yuma, AZ area, Algodones is a short 5-10 mile drive. I still have a lot more work to be done, so stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment