Total Pageviews

Friday, May 22, 2009

FLORENCE, OREGON


Yesterday was one of those days where we weren't in much of a hurry to do anything. About noon, we drove the mile or so into town, and walked around the old town area near the harbor. There's always a few things of interest in these tourist areas, but rarely do Patty and I find anything that screams "take me home with you". We did spot a couple sitting at an outside cafe with a beagle, so, of course I had to start a conversation with the folks, in order to get my hands on the dog.
We next stopped at the local museum, which is one of our favorite things to do as we explore different areas. After paying the volunteer $6, he gave us an introduction, and we started to look at the exhibits. This older gentleman was trying to be helpful by following us around and pointing out what he thought were the points of interest. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm at a museum, I like to set my own pace and read about the things that I find interesting. When it looked like this guided tour was unending, I quickly devised a plan to alter his focus, by asking - When did the railroad arrive here in Florence? He didn't know the answer because the railroad never made it all the way into town. In his eagerness to please, he said, "I'll go check to see if I can find the answer". Perfect! We then lost him for about 20 minutes, double perfect! When he returned, he had indeed found that construction on the railroad started in the 1880's, and it never reached the town of Florence, which I already knew.
After the museum, Patty found some books at the Vincent De Paul store, we got some groceries, and headed back to the motor home. Today, I think we'll drive a few miles north, and check out the Heceta Lighthouse, set in one of the most scenic locations on the Oregon Coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment