Total Pageviews

Sunday, February 20, 2011

TUCSON RODEO - DAY 1

Patty is busy with the duster, tackling the ever present residue of an outdoor rodeo.

The Tucson Rodeo is the first big rodeo of the season, that takes place in an outdoor arena. The Professional Rodeo Cowboy Association (PRCA) is the sanctioning body for the rodeo circuit, and the rodeo season starts in Texas, just before the Tucson Rodeo. The Houston, and San Antonio Rodeos are two of the top 10 in the country, but they take place at indoor arenas. We are told that many of the top contestants look forward to coming to Tucson, because of the large space to compete. The picture below was taken from inside our trailer, where we watch the contestants come and go throughout most of the day. It's an almost constant parade of horses, cowboys and cowgirls, as the path to the arena is right next to our trailer.

This little cowgirl of the future, paused for a picture in front of our trailer.

Yesterday was the first day of competition at the 86th annual Tucson Rodeo. We'll be here through next Sunday when the final performance concludes on the 27th. Except for a lot of wind, our first day went well, with sales slightly less than the first day last year. I think we've rounded the learning curve with the new scanners, but as with any new technology, there's always a period of adjustment. This morning, I'll use the applique machine for the first time, and increase our inventory of Tucson Rodeo merchandise. I watched Jim use the machine when he was here, so hopefully, there won't be any problems. Have I mentioned that stepping out of my comfort zone is getting harder and harder, as I get older. When I was younger, I couldn't wait to learn new stuff, but now, my thought process is a little different. My thinking now is more like if something works, don't mess with it. I think the only person who has a cell phone older than mine is Lori East. Many have urged me to get one of the new smart phones, but my reply is always the same - my phone works fine, and as old as it is, it's still smarter than I am!

The weather forecast is for less wind today, and that's a good thing, because all of these horses stir up a lot of dust. The main problem yesterday, was that the wind was blowing from the southwest, and that was almost directly into our trailer. Today, it should be easier to keep our counter clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment