Total Pageviews

Saturday, March 10, 2012

THE DRIVE HOME

Passing the entrance to the U.S. Army Proving Grounds on Hwy 95, north of Yuma, AZ.

We said adios to Nancy, as we both pulled away from the Yuma Fairgrounds, and the end of the Gypsy Journal RV Rally. Nancy was headed over to La Mesa RV to drop off her 5th wheel trailer, and we pointed the motor home north for Lake Havasu City.

Approaching the Border Patrol checkpoint on Hwy 95 between Yuma and Quartzsite.

The drive home from Yuma is about 150 miles, and pretty much a straight shot up Hwy 95. We stopped in Quartzsite for diesel (4.20.9), and at the Pit Stop to empty our holding tanks. Their dump fee is up to $15, and I think next time, I'll just wait until I get home.

Every time I pass through these Border Patrol checkpoints, I have mixed emotions. I'm really glad that these attempts to stop smuggling, both human and otherwise, are very visible, and proactive. However, I can't help but wonder if they ever catch anyone. I know an older couple in a big motor home doesn't exactly fit the profile of a coyote (person who transports illegal aliens), but we are never checked, just waived through. Now, if I was in the business of moving illegals north from the border, this is exactly the vehicle I would use, with someone like us driving. Sometimes the Border Patrol has a drug dog sniffing vehicles when they pass by, and with that resource, perhaps a few bad guys are caught with their pants down.

When we approached Quartzsite, I couldn't help but wonder where have all of the RV's, and people gone? A little over a month ago, this place was the center of the earth for folks in RV's, and now, it was like a ghost town.

We stopped in Parker so I could get my burger fix, then the drive continued north next to the Colorado River. At a little after noon, I was backing the motor home into the backyard. We did our usual routine of emptying lots of stuff out of the house on wheels, and by late afternoon, it was parked under the shade cover in the backyard.

With the 2 weeks in Tucson, and the 1 week in Yuma, we were gone a little less than a month, and it's always good to return to our big house. We've got lots to do in the next 3 weeks before we're off again, when we'll be picking up our Granddaughter, and taking her on an Easter week vacation to the San Diego area. In the meantime, the boat's going in the water today, and will stay at the marina for the rest of the month. Spring Break has started here in Lake Havasu, and the kids are here in full force.

We got a call from Nancy at 7 pm, and she had just arrived back home in Atwater, having driven about 500 miles. We'll be seeing her next week when she flies back to Yuma to pick up her brand new 2012 Tiffin Phaeton motor home. I think we might be just as jazzed about her new toy, as I'm sure she is!

This latest adventure provided us with a few surprises, and a few firsts. For the first time, I volunteered to help at the Gypsy Rally, joining my pals Tom Westerfield and David Cross on the parking crew. I became an instructor of sorts, moderating a seminar on boodocking that went quite well. We became involved with Nancy's unexpected purchase of a new motor home, and shared in her excitement. Each time we attend Nick & Terry's rally, it feels more and more like a family reunion, as we meet, and get to know more people. I'm already looking forward to the next one!

No comments:

Post a Comment