Total Pageviews

Sunday, January 15, 2012

LAST RALLY DAY IN INDIO

Not much to report about our activities yesterday, the last day of the FMCA Rally. I once again helped Bill deliver ice cream in the golf cart to the vendors, and other workers. Once again, I can say with all honesty, absolutely none of the ice cream bars and sandwiches were tainted, or otherwise unfit for human consumption. When we were finished with ice cream deliveries, we returned to the distribution area, and that was pretty much the extent of my volunteerism for the day. Patty helped pass out the ice cream, and when she was finished, we checked out some of the new motor homes, along with one more pass through the vendor building.

The main drag at the Riverside County Fairgrounds in Indio, CA.

My only purchase of any significance from the vendors was a solar light for my flag pole. When I got back to the motor home, I installed the rechargeable batteries, and tried to test the light by covering the sensor per the instructions. No matter how I covered the sensor, the LED lights failed to come on. Again, per the instructions, I replaced the rechargeable AA batteries with regular batteries, and my luck prevailed - no lights. As I was putting everything back in the box, I saw where it was made, and I think everyone can figure that one out. No wonder there's high unemployment in this country, nothing is made in the good old U.S. of A. anymore! I'm starting to read labels more carefully, and given a choice, even if it's more expensive, the product made in the U.S. is what I'm going to buy. Unless the government creates an environment where our businesses can compete, it won't be long before almost everything is manufactured in China or some other foreign country.

When I returned the light to the vendor, they couldn't make it work either, and "oh by the way, we just sold our last light". Perfect! They offered to mail me a new light, or give me my money back. I had to think about that one for about 1 second, and you can probably guess what my decision was.

It's about 10 minutes to ice cream, and these folks are lined up.

This morning, Patty and I are part of the clean up crew which will take an hour or so, then we'll hook up the jeep and head back home. It's been a fun rally with our fellow Golden Spikers, and we'll be looking forward to our next get together.

"OK Dad, this rally stuff has us just plain tuckered out, we're ready to go home"

No comments:

Post a Comment