Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 20, 2011

CHILLIN IN THE BACKYARD

Most of yesterday was spent getting everything loaded into the motor home, for our annual trek to Quartzsite, AZ. We're leaving this morning for about a week, where we'll be parked in the desert near all of the flea markets, and RV show in town. We've been going to Quartzsite for about 15 years, but since moving to AZ, our drive is now only a little over an hour.

After most of the work was done, I threw some chicken on the BBQ, with Sami supervising every move I made. It was an almost perfect winter day here in Lake Havasu, and as I tended to the BBQ, I couldn't help but be glad we decided to move here almost 9 years ago. This is the time of year when thousands of snowbirds from colder climates make their way to the desert, primarily for the warm weather. Except for a few days in Tucson during the holidays where it was chilly enough for long pants, my winter attire has been a t-shirt and shorts.
During the winters we have spent here in Lake Havasu, I have slowly landscaped the back yard, with some sort of project just about every year. With all of the concrete, the RV shade cover, the addition of the shed 2 years ago, it's been easy to stay busy. This winter has been more about trying to get a little healthier, with daily walks and some running. Our island walking path is a circle of 3.6 miles, and I'm up to running, well, more like jogging 2 of those miles. I've never been much of a runner, but as my endurance is slowly building, I'm actually starting to enjoy it just a little.

During one of my trips into the motor home, I glanced at the thermometer, and decided I had to take another picture, especially for our friends Bob & Diana, who live in Enterprise, OR. Their home in north east Oregon is located in a beautiful area, but it does get cold in the winter. Actually, the outdoor temperature shown above is not accurate. The remote sensor is located in front of the motor home, and the afternoon sun was shining directly on the sensor. The real temperature Bob, was a chilly 72 degrees.

When I'm doing anything around the BBQ, I usually have Sami's undivided attention, as shown above. At 13, her hearing has deteriorated a little, but her nose works as good as ever..

No comments:

Post a Comment