Total Pageviews

Thursday, December 8, 2011

BLOG TO BOOK

Since starting this Blog in early 2009, today's post will be the 699th. One of the options available to the thousands (millions?) of Goggle Blogger's, is to have their Blog turned into a book. My original reason for starting this method of communication, was to keep our family and friends up to date with our travels, and adventures. When I discovered that there was a company that would turn this Internet tool into a hardcover book, I didn't hesitate.

I decided to have the book cover a calendar year, and had the 2010 book printed many months ago. Sometime in January, I'll have the 2011 book printed, and it will start the 4th year of this form of social media. So far, each year, we have 4 books printed. One for us, and 3 for each of the kids. I just put the 2010 book in the mail to Dave & Mike. We'll take the 3rd one to Tucson after the cruise, for Marc.

With the advent of electronic devices like the IPAD, and Kindle, the way of the printed book may be going away, but I suspect if that indeed happens, it will take a few more generations. There are still a lot of us who prefer holding printed material in our hands while we read. I have no idea how long I'll continue to keep this online journal going, but to convert it into something a little more tangible was a simple decision. Our kids will at least have a snapshot into our life for several years, and will have a better understanding of what we did, and how we lived.

We're down to just a wake up before starting our cruise vacation. When I was overseas in the Army, a zillion years ago, everyone counted down the days until they returned to "The World", by counting the number of days, and a wake up. Counting down to our cruise with the kids, yesterday was 1 day and a wake up. Today, it's just a wake up. Tomorrow, we will be in Vegas, and the following day in Fort Lauderdale. Sunday, we sail for the Caribbean. I'm taking the computer, so my plan is to post frequently, but I'm not sure about connectivity on the ship. We'll see how that goes....

2 comments:

  1. I love the idea of publishing our blog. Can you, when you come back from your cruise, give us more info on who to contact to do this? thank you. Happy cruise
    Joe and Betty
    joeandbetty.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dan.

    Same here! I see there's several companies that do it, but which one did you choose?

    keyward9@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete