Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 13, 2010

WALKING THE ISLAND

During the 8 years that we have spent the winter here in Lake Havasu City, there have been quite a few hours where we may have been seen on this walking/biking/rollerblading paved trail that circles the island. However, last winter, I can't remember once where we took advantage of this very nice walking path. Patty has been walking, mostly with her pal Jeanette, almost every day, but I have not. This year, I have decided that a few things need to change, and specifically, I need to get more exercise. As the weight has kept creeping up, it finally is the time to cut a few bad habits, and get the blood flowing a little faster. I just had my annual medical checkup, and even though everything is good, I realized that my trend toward a more sedentary lifestyle, along with probably the worst eating habits of anyone alive, is not a good recipe for longevity. So, while Patty & Dave have been on their trip to Greece, I have been driving down to the island, and hitting the trail.
The sign above, is posted in several places along the path, and instructs walkers/joggers to go in a counterclockwise direction, while bikers are supposed to go in a clockwise circle. This keeps faster bikes from sneaking up behind and potentially causing a conflict. Most folks adhere to this simple rule, but there are always a few who do not, like yesterday, when a couple on two bikes with a leashed dog came up behind me.
The total distance around the island on the path is 3.6 miles. If I walk fast, and jog a couple of times, it takes me between 50-60 minutes. If I walk normally, it takes a little over an hour. This morning, I'm taking my bicycle for the first time, and I'll see how many times I can pedal around the circle. Today is the day for Patty and Dave to sit on an airplane for most of the day, returning from Athens to San Francisco around midnight tonight. By the time the bus gets them to Sonora, and they drive back to Dave's house in Modesto, it will probably be very early in the morning. I expect to hear from them tomorrow, and Patty will most likely drive back to Arizona in a day or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment