Total Pageviews

Friday, December 18, 2009

A RIDE IN THE DESERT


It's about a week until Christmas, and even though some parts of the country are cold and miserable, that's not the case here in western Arizona. Yesterday's temperature was just shy of 70 degrees, and the Kawasaki KLR had been sitting in the garage for over 6 months. It felt like a day to do some exploring in the desert, so I headed toward the north end of town and rode for a couple of hours on roads and trails that I had not yet tackled. Since I've always done a lot of riding by myself, which I enjoy tremendously, I have a healthy respect for my capabilities, my bike's potential, and the terrain where I'm riding. As I get older, I try to limit my riding to areas where I don't get into any serious trouble. Except for one 4 wheel drive road up to where I took the bottom picture with Lake Havasu in the background, the ride yesterday was mostly on dirt roads north of the airport. One area that I have been wanting to check out for a long time was Craggy Wash, a BLM primitive RV/camping area, just past the airport. Even though the limit is supposed to be 14 days, it looked like some of the RV's were there for the winter. In a few weeks, we'll be parking our motor home in the desert near Quartzsite, for the annual RV show and flea market. It looks like we'll most likely be parking in our usual spot near mile marker 99 on hwy 95, south of Quartzsite, on or about January 15th. The big tent opens on the 16th, and some of our friends won't be arriving for about another week. When the Barrett-Jackson auction is over on the 24th, a few of our friends working that event will be heading for Quartzsite. Hopefully, Art & Linda, and Everett & Lori will be able to make the trip from California this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment